Re: Mirror list

On 10/29/05, Mark Nipper <nipsy@bitgnome.net> wrote:
> On 29 Oct 2005, lordSauron wrote:
> > Yeah, you really should host a mirror - more mirrors means more places
> > to distribute the bandwidth load.
>
>        Working on it currently.  I will notify all the
> appropriate people once I'm done with the initial rsync and am
> ready for the push part of the mirror.

Cool.

> > Tell me one thing though: is this OC-12 line into your house or
> > workplace???  I've been trying for ages to get a ISP that'll let me
> > host with even a bloody cable broadband connexion, however, since my
> > area was one of the first to be wired with cable broadband, they're
> > not going to re-wire it until hell freezes over (not the one in
> > Alaska).
>
>        OC-12 at home...  Wouldn't that be nice!  No, that's
> definitely at work (Texas A&M University).  There is no way I
> could afford the cost of that OC-12 personally.  An OC-12 is
> roughly 622.08Mbps (either direction) while I only have a 5Mbps
> down/768Kbps up cable connection at home.  I think we currently
> pay around $120,000USD for the OC-12 at work.

A month or a year?  That's an insane connection rate.. you've probably
got a fibre LAN going in the building, right?  Otherwise you'd be
somewhat disabled by anything less than gigabit ethernet.  They'll let
you host that at your workplace though...

Yes, Texas would be in my neck of the woods (I'm in California, so not
*that* close, but closer than all the many German mirrors).

>        Personally speaking, hosting anything of any size (this
> mirror for example) on a home connection is next to useless.  I
> feel for you in looking for a decent provider in the boondocks.
> I have a friend in Northwest Washington who ended up going with
> DirecPC/Direcway (http://www.direcway.com/) because that was
> really his only option.  He says the speed is decent (equivalent
> to slower DSL or cable modem service) but that the latency is
> pretty high.  That's to be expected when the first and last leg
> of every route adds an additional 40,000 miles or so to the total
> distance!
>
>        But I certainly wouldn't want to host any high traffic
> services on such a connection.  It would be much better to lease
> a dedicated server elsewhere for this type of service, although
> prices are pretty high going this route too.  Unmetered 20Mbps
> service starts around $239USD to give you an idea.

If only I had the raw, untamed $$$....

> > Sorry, ISPs are a major sore-spot of mine...  yeah, you should
> > certainly make an effort to host a mirror.  What locale would your
> > mirror be in?  the US?  I think that there's a lack of mirrors in the
> > US personally...  I would love to remedy that, but as I said before,
>
>        The mirror will be in Texas.  As long as you have a
> decent connection at home, your downlink will most likely be
> saturated from this end.

Yeah, with my current mirrors, I get about 56K on average.  Not that great....

--
=== GCB v3.1 ===