Re: Mirror list

Yeah, you really should host a mirror - more mirrors means more places
to distribute the bandwidth load.

Tell me one thing though: is this OC-12 line into your house or
workplace???  I've been trying for ages to get a ISP that'll let me
host with even a bloody cable broadband connexion, however, since my
area was one of the first to be wired with cable broadband, they're
not going to re-wire it until hell freezes over (not the one in
Alaska).

Sorry, ISPs are a major sore-spot of mine...  yeah, you should
certainly make an effort to host a mirror.  What locale would your
mirror be in?  the US?  I think that there's a lack of mirrors in the
US personally...  I would love to remedy that, but as I said before,
I'm in no situation to host anything, the least part of the problem
being that my current ISP has me vow to *not* host anything.  To host
would be a breach of contract and then they could terminate my service
for TV, phone, internet.. the whole works.  If you ever are in a
position to destroy a part of Comcast's property, please do so, since
they've got a abhorrant stranglehold monopoly on my area...

And as to fixing the mirrors list, it didn't change from where I
browse.  You sure it's work'n?  We should certainly try to convince
more of the other mirrors that host other bits of debian to add amd64
to their lists, since the i386 mirrors are many and fast, perhaps some
of the more techno-literate among us should offer to help upgrade
their mirrors, since the mirrors generally run themselves (it looks
like that to me, anyways) and the main bits of pain are adding other
parts of the repositories.  We certainly should work harder to promote
the amd64 architecture... I mean... we've been rather slothful,
haven't we??? RedHat has had amd64 for a long while, and the amd64
architecture has been on the market almost a year in a half now (if
not more... what was the first thing that goes?? I can't seem to
remember... ; )  I can't claim much of the responsibity of not
promoting amd64... but I think that there's a fair number of amd64
people running i386 (all those registers - unused! sniff...) so we
certainly should be working either harder or smarter....