Re: Mirror list

On 29 Oct 2005, lordSauron wrote:
> Yeah, you really should host a mirror - more mirrors means more places
> to distribute the bandwidth load.

        Working on it currently.  I will notify all the
appropriate people once I'm done with the initial rsync and am
ready for the push part of the mirror.

> Tell me one thing though: is this OC-12 line into your house or
> workplace???  I've been trying for ages to get a ISP that'll let me
> host with even a bloody cable broadband connexion, however, since my
> area was one of the first to be wired with cable broadband, they're
> not going to re-wire it until hell freezes over (not the one in
> Alaska).

        OC-12 at home...  Wouldn't that be nice!  No, that's
definitely at work (Texas A&M University).  There is no way I
could afford the cost of that OC-12 personally.  An OC-12 is
roughly 622.08Mbps (either direction) while I only have a 5Mbps
down/768Kbps up cable connection at home.  I think we currently
pay around $120,000USD for the OC-12 at work.

        Personally speaking, hosting anything of any size (this
mirror for example) on a home connection is next to useless.  I
feel for you in looking for a decent provider in the boondocks.
I have a friend in Northwest Washington who ended up going with
DirecPC/Direcway (http://www.direcway.com/) because that was
really his only option.  He says the speed is decent (equivalent
to slower DSL or cable modem service) but that the latency is
pretty high.  That's to be expected when the first and last leg
of every route adds an additional 40,000 miles or so to the total
distance!

        But I certainly wouldn't want to host any high traffic
services on such a connection.  It would be much better to lease
a dedicated server elsewhere for this type of service, although
prices are pretty high going this route too.  Unmetered 20Mbps
service starts around $239USD to give you an idea.

> Sorry, ISPs are a major sore-spot of mine...  yeah, you should
> certainly make an effort to host a mirror.  What locale would your
> mirror be in?  the US?  I think that there's a lack of mirrors in the
> US personally...  I would love to remedy that, but as I said before,

        The mirror will be in Texas.  As long as you have a
decent connection at home, your downlink will most likely be
saturated from this end.

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
832 Tanglewood Drive                                nipsy@bitgnome.net

---begin random quote of the moment---
Sleep sweet within this quiet room,
O thou, whoe'er thou art,