Re: amd64 sources.list file

 On Sept. 21st, Kaare Olsen wrote:
> > okay... I think I now have figured out why the system refuses to
> > install amd64 packages, perferring the i386 packages: it still thinks
> > it's an i386 system.
>
> In addition to what Len Sorensen said on a doing a fresh install, here's
> how I've successfully "upgraded" a couple of i386 systems to the amd64
> port without having to set everything up again.
>
> Beware, the following general steps are from memory:
>
> - Run "dpkg --get-selections > my_installed_packages" on your current
> i386 system.
>
> - Store /etc/*, /home/*, /var/log/*, /var/www/*, and whatever else you
> want to keep (don't forget the newly created my_installed_packages file)
> in a safe place, e.g. on another drive where you can get at them from a
> fresh installation.
>
> - Check again that you haven't forgotten anything important on your
> current system.
>
> - Install sarge using a netinst CD image; i.e. the fresh install Len
> Sorensen mentioned.
>
> - When the fresh install is finished, copy the my_installed_packages
> file to the system.
>
> - Remove architecture dependant packages from your my_installed_packages
> file (e.g. kernel-image, linux-image, alsa-modules ...).  Apt may refuse
> to install them, however, so this step may be unnecessary.
>
> - Run "dpkg --set-selections < my_installed_packages" to mark your
> previously installed packages for installation.
>
> - Run e.g. "apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade" (possibly also "apt-get
> dist-upgrade).  Aptitude may do a better job of this.

and a little apt-get dselect-upgrade
:-)

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/ch-package.en.html

this techniques works really great but expect that a few packages will
remain unavailable in the new arch (amd64) which is not problematic at
all

'still, from time to time re-run the dselect-upgrade and you might find
that yet another package has found it's way to AMD64

lately there was valgrind and qemu

few more to come very soon...

--
	Cyril Chaboisseau