Re: amd64 sources.list file

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:15:18 -0700
lordSauron <lordsauronthegreat@gmail.com> wrote:

> okay... I think I now have figured out why the system refuses to
> install amd64 packages, perferring the i386 packages: it still thinks
> it's an i386 system.

In addition to what Len Sorensen said on a doing a fresh install, here's
how I've successfully "upgraded" a couple of i386 systems to the amd64
port without having to set everything up again.

Beware, the following general steps are from memory:

- Run "dpkg --get-selections > my_installed_packages" on your current
i386 system.

- Store /etc/*, /home/*, /var/log/*, /var/www/*, and whatever else you
want to keep (don't forget the newly created my_installed_packages file)
in a safe place, e.g. on another drive where you can get at them from a
fresh installation.

- Check again that you haven't forgotten anything important on your
current system.

- Install sarge using a netinst CD image; i.e. the fresh install Len
Sorensen mentioned.

- When the fresh install is finished, copy the my_installed_packages
file to the system.

- Remove architecture dependant packages from your my_installed_packages
file (e.g. kernel-image, linux-image, alsa-modules ...).  Apt may refuse
to install them, however, so this step may be unnecessary.

- Run "dpkg --set-selections < my_installed_packages" to mark your
previously installed packages for installation.

- Run e.g. "apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade" (possibly also "apt-get
dist-upgrade).  Aptitude may do a better job of this.

- Copy your stored directories and files back, taking care when
restoring /etc/* as there may be architecture dependant settings.

You should be able to performed the last two items in the reverse order,
but I don't remember in which order I did this.

Good luck!

--
Regards, Kaare - <http://www.nightcall.dk/>