nvidia + openGL + java

I am trying to get jogl, the openGL for java extension, working. Since
it requires a native file (jogl.so) which I can only find for x86, I am
working in a 32 bit chroot. When I ran an example, it
crashed giving a segfault in the libGL.so file. This was currently
provided by nvidia-glx so I removed it and the program ran fine (without
hardware acceleration I expect). I compiled my own nvidia-glx package (version 7174) using standard apt-get source --compile but the same error occurs
I am guessing this is a bug in the nvidia libGL file but I have only
experienced the error in 32-bit, so maybe this is the wrong place to post.
Has anyone had success compiling/using jogl on amd64/know where I can get source for this so I can test in 64bit mode?

Many thanks

Hugh

Here is the error I get when running:
#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x5c35baba, pid=5634, tid=1558608816
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_05-b05 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libGL.so.1+0x2caba]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid5634.log
#
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
Aborted