Re: random system hang

On 6/18/05, Ron Farrer <rbf@debian.org> wrote:
> I guess I didn't "knock on wood" quick enough or something. After I sent
> my reply I left for lunch and apon returning (1 hour) the thing was locked
> up!
>
> I went over to another machine, logged in via ssh. I looked at the CPU
> usage and X was pegging one of the CPUs out to 100% usage.

It might just be the X server going crazy. Since it runs as root, it
can take the whole system down if it crashes. You may try to compile
"Magic keys" into the kernel, so that you can kill the server using
the keyboard.

But what I would really recommend is to try X.org 6.8 from ubuntu. It
has solved many many problems for me (ATI card), and my machine rans
fine now.

> So I tried to run "less
> /var/log/messages" and it hung.

Hm... I had some issues with my SATA drive. The connection was not
reliable, so that it would "unplugg" itself. A new cable fixed that.
Is /var/log/messages on the SATA drive?

Thomas