Re: installing nvidia driver for pci express 6600GT?

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 05:41:20PM +0200, Alexander Fieroch wrote:
> I didn't get the geforce 6600GT to work with xfree86 so I have installed
> xorg but the nvidia driver is not found too.

I suggest going back to xfree86 and following the README in the
nvidia-kernel-source package.  It seems to work for most people,
although it may be that PCIe is a problem (although I have seen people
say they have it working on A8N-SLI boards which are PCIe as well).

x.org just adds more complexity and is yet another unknown.  If
nvidia-kernel-source is installed and built against your current
kernel's headers and installed, and nvidia-glx is installed, and X is
configured to use the nvidia driver (not nv or vesa or anything else),
and your user is in the video group (adduser username video) and the
nvidia module is load (adding to /etc/modules works) then is should just
work.  It almost always does.