Re: New soundcard, no cd sound

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 20:05 +0100, Ernest jw ter Kuile wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 January 2005 08:26, Norval Watson wrote:
> >
> > ...  I have run alsaconf (actually, I have to run it each
> > time I restart the box..)
>
> Believe me, you have your card muted in some hidden alsa config file.
>
> Solution:
> - don't run alsaconfig after startup
> - run alsamixer,
> - scroll right until you have reviewed all the mixer settings, and probably
> the one which is completely to the right will be muted.

This is not necessarily the case though.  For example I just encountered
a machine yesterday where hotplug or discover was loading the sound card
modules before alsa, and in a different order than alsa would: it was

We would then run alsaconf and it would unload everything and reload it
in the right order and it would work again.

The solution we chose in our case was to put the module name for the
primary sound card into /etc/modules, to force it to be loaded first.

Regards,
				Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
 I like the way ONLY their mouths move ...  They look like DYING OYSTERS