Re: New soundcard, no cd sound

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 05:06:18PM +1100, Norval Watson wrote:
> Hi Ernest,
> I tried
> "Solution:
> - don't run alsaconfig after startup
> - run alsamixer,
> - scroll right until you have rewewed all the mixer settings, and
> probably
> the one which is completly to the right will be muted."
> Unfortunately this did not solve the problem.
> In alsamixer the far right channel is called Multi Track Volume Rate and
> is not muted. I have to learn more about alsamixer..

On most sound cards I have used you need the following to play a CD:

unmute and turn up volume (I like about 75%) for CDin, and master.  Some
cards have multiple sliders for master, but most are Master mono, or
other irrelevant settings.  Just plain simple master is usually what you
want there.

Turning up and unmuting PCM/wave playback is usually also nice if you
want to play other sounds too.

Most other things aren't used very often.

In alsamixer MM at the top of a channel means muted.  hitting 'm'
unmutes it.  cursor keys control volume on channel and selecting
channel to adjust.