Re: kernel-image packages for alpha in need of testing

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 06:07:37PM +0200, Joerg Hoh wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 05:55:42PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:22:16AM +0200, Joerg Hoh wrote:

> > > I've repeated the test with this new image and the qlogic-driver doesn't
> > > fail anymore. When it comes to initialize the network, it cannot retrieve
> > > its settings via DHCP, also manual assignment doesn't help. It cannot get
> > > connection to any other computer through the network.  Your patch probably
> > > affected the tulip and 3c59x module (which I use in my alpha).

> > This is unlikely; I have both tulip and 3c59x cards that *required* this
> > patch to be applied (... reverted) before they were usable under 2.4.26.

> > Which 2.4.2x kernels have you been able to use these ethernet cards
> > under successfully, and which source trees were they based on?

> That's a long story. This machine worked with problems for a year with many
> vanilla kernels (ranging from 2.4.2x up to 2.6.3). Both network cards and
> the qlogic driver worked. After testing a LSI SCSI-Adapter the
> qlogic-driver crashed at bootup (don't have the backtrace anymore).

> Under linux 2.2.20-bf the qlogic driver works and also both NICs.

Does this mean that there is currently *no* kernel that you are able to
get working with the hardware in this machine?  Or do these other
kernels still work after the LSI test?

> Could it be that this affected the SRM?

I don't see how that would matter much, as long as you're still able to
boot the system.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer