Re: kernel-image packages for alpha in need of testing

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 03:56:27PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 03:04:52PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Hello Steve,
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 05:59:42PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > Thanks to Peter De Schrijver, I believe we've finally located the bug
> > > that's made 2.4.2x kernel-image packages so horrible to use on such a
> > > wide range of alphas.  Reverting a Debian-specific patch to the PCI
> > > initialization code has resulted in 2.4.26 kernel images that are known
> > > to work on three different alphas that showed various problems with
> > > ethernet/SCSI drivers when booting the official kernel-images.

> > Could this be a similar issue as the one I debugged with Herbert, i.e.
> > bug #241185? Debian AND stock kernels broke for me at 2.4.21 as well, and
> > Herbert finally came up with some patches which made it recognize my
> > Adaptec (and hence be able to be used). He was not very clear in his
> > final message but said:

> >    OK that's good.  So reverting my change to core_cia should fix the
> >    problem.  I think the new maintainers will do that in the next release
> >    anyway so this bug can be closed then.

> Yes, the code in question is precisely that in core_cia.

> > I downloaded the iso and will try to run it tonight to see if it boots
> > and recognizes both IDE and SCSI (for the former I needed ide=nodma).

> Sorry for wasting your bandwidth on the broken iso.  I'll post again as
> soon as I have 2.4.26 working in d-i.

The busybox maintainer has kindly provided an updated udeb that supports
modules generated by the latest binutils.  The images at
http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/fixed-alpha-kernels/ have been updated
as well, and verified to work.  Note that the only kernels available in
the archive to be installed are still broken, so you can only use this
for testing the new kernels, not really for installing a usable system
sarge system.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek