Re: matroxfb on SMP alpha

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 05:11:13PM -0600, Bob McElrath wrote:

> > What does "lspci -v" show?
>
> 01:04.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>         Subsystem: Matrox Graphics, Inc. Marvel G200
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 52
>         Memory at 0000000209000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
>         Memory at 000000020aa10000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>         Memory at 000000020a000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
>         Expansion ROM at 000000020aa00000 [disabled] [size=64K]
>         Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
>
> I wonder if manually programming the PCI configuration space would be
> helpful?  I could put the card in another machine and read the PCI
> config space (when it's working) with 'lspci -xxx', and then write it on
> the cs20 with 'pcitweak' from XFree86.  There is probably more that the
> BIOS does though...

I don't think it's needed; from the above the PCI side of things seems
to be set up fine as it is, and video chips need much more setup than
writing a block of information.

It seems fine though, especially because of this:

> Also, I just compiled-in matroxfb, and I get boot penguins.

If by that you mean you see the boot logo, then the card works fine,
doesn't it -- just not under X? Or do you see lots of them all over the
screen, i.e. no synchronization?

> I've tried all combinations of the kernel command-line parameters
> video=matrox:init:nobios. Also this post:
> claims that matroxfb can initialize this card...

If I understand you correctly, the card is working fine, the problem is
only that X wants to see a ROM signature to be sure it's talking to the
right card. The ROM is disabled (see above), so what you probably need
to do is find certain option to tell X that it should skip that check.

That is assuming X doesn't really /depend/ on functions in the BIOS, but
if that is the case then the MGA driver in X would be x86 only or would
need a CPU emulator. Now /that/ would be crappy design. ;-).

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info