Re: matroxfb on SMP alpha

Jay Estabrook [Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com] wrote:

> Most PCI devices (installed in an Alpha :-) don't need their BIOS run;
> can you think of devices other than VGA and SCSI where it's really
> necessary?  And most SCSI can deal with it *not* running, via some set
> of defaults, I believe.

Yeah VGA and SCSI.

> Well, what Pete meant by "the firmware" _was_ SRM, and if he says the
> BIOS emulator ain't there, he knows.

;)

> Hmm; this is with XFree86 4.1.0-29.1, ie the latest available under
> RH 7.2 for Alpha?

This is with 4.2.1, the latest available under debian unstable.

> What does "lspci -v" show?

01:04.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Matrox Graphics, Inc. Marvel G200
        Memory at 0000000209000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Memory at 000000020aa10000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Memory at 000000020a000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
        Expansion ROM at 000000020aa00000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

I wonder if manually programming the PCI configuration space would be
helpful?  I could put the card in another machine and read the PCI
config space (when it's working) with 'lspci -xxx', and then write it on
the cs20 with 'pcitweak' from XFree86.  There is probably more that the
BIOS does though...

> I've actually got one of those beasties, but I won't be able to commission
> it until next week to look into this. Can you wait?

Certainly!  Thanks for your time!  I realize I'm trying to do something I'm not
really supposed to do, so ignore me if you like.

An interesting datapoint: this is a Marvel (TV-card) and using the linux
marvel drivers I can record video from the card just fine in the cs20.
It just won't put anything on the video out except text.

Also, I just compiled-in matroxfb, and I get boot penguins.

I've tried all combinations of the kernel command-line parameters
video=matrox:init:nobios .  Also this post: