Re: matroxfb on SMP alpha

BTW the cs20 has dual eepro100 onboard.

Yeah but it has no bios to manipulate it's eeprom. We do that from
the os with the cs20nicu tool. I wanted to confirm that the bios
emulation that was there was atleast capable of cranking over
a simple nic bios. So atleast we know there's a chance.

I might give it a shot, if all else fails.  :)

Good luck!

So vga0 is listed, and when I 'run bios vga0' I get this:
    Error detected by Pchip 1
        PERROR = 0030000003d40100
            No Devsel

Put it on the other PCI slot. It may only look up to PCI
bus 0 and no further.  The CS20 has independent  PCI
busses with the bulk of our features hanging off bus zero.

Side note here:For the performance minded folks, pci
options cards that demand alot of CPU(interrupt) time will
perform better on the second bus.

This same set of messages is displayed when I 'run bios vga0', and then the serial console hangs, as you mentioned it probably would above. Video modes flip more than once but no text is printed. After 'run bios vga0' I have a black screen and a blinking text cursor in the UL corner. Note that the halt button does not return me to the SRM (so no way to boot linux after :().

let's try the other PCi slot and try again.

Also on bootup there is a message that appears on the video output (but
not on the serial console):

    Bios Emulation X2.01
    Copyright (C) 1993-1999 Digital Equipment Corporation
    All Rights Reserved
    Patent Pending

This is SRM A5.8-81.

Really? Hmmmm....... If I could my hands on a CS20 I could might have a chance
at this working.

Know anyone that wants to buy one?  ;)

They sell on ebay for $1500+ regularly.

Peter