Re: matroxfb on SMP alpha

Peter Petrakis [voodoo@alphadriven.org] wrote:
> I'm sorry but if you want to run a graphics card in that machine, It
> will probably never work. There is no x86 bios  emulator support in
> the firmware. It was removed to conserve space and make room for the
> linux in rom (never finished).

So then it will never be able to initialize most PCI devices?  That's a
crappy design...  How many PCI devices don't have a BIOS?

Wouldn't the bios emulator be part of SRM?  Is there anything I can do
from the SRM to initialize the card?

> It was never meant to be a console machine, It was specially  designed
> for mass clustering and to operate headless.

Well, I have a backup use for it if I can't get it to display anything.
(I got it cheap off ebay for video encoding)

>  Your only hope is to somehow get the Xfree bios emulator to set up
>  the card properly. Last time I checked, their bios emulator still
>  depends on the previous firmware to have "done the right thing (tm)".

XFree86 hangs on startup without ever doing anything to the screen.  It
does say:
    (WW) MGA(0): Video BIOS info block not detected!

> Keyboard/mouse support may be possible at the OS level using a USB card
> but you'll have no control at the firmware level.
>
> In an ideal world. A new firmware could be written that supported x86
> bios emulation and newer devices.
>
> The best use you could get out of this thing is to run it on the
> network and an open a X session to it.

Not useful for displaying video.  The bandwidth requirements are
prohibitive.

> Finally if you bought this from someone and they told you VGA would
> work in it, they're a bold faced liar. Demand your money back.

Nobody told me that, it's my own fault.

Thanks,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics]

    "You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the
    freedom it gives its assimilated conformists." -- Abbie Hoffman