matroxfb on SMP alpha

I just acquired a dual-processor CS20 alpha system, and I'm trying to
get matroxfb to work.  (Note - this is a rackmount system and has no
keyboard or mouse, which complicates things)

Matroxfb seems to work fine using the debian kernel 2.4.20-smp, and I
can switch video modes and put text on the screen.  However no program
which attempts to put graphics on the screen works.  I have tried a
number of programs and while the program thinks its drawing something to
the screen, the screen is black.  I've tried changing vt's with chvt and
no graphics is displaying on any vt.

So does anyone have matroxfb working on an SMP alpha?

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

I've also tried mplayer's mga_vid, and that manages to display a
shifting green and purple blocky mess (on any input) at the proper
location, but again, no relation to the image/video I'm trying to
display.

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics]

    "You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the
    freedom it gives its assimilated conformists." -- Abbie Hoffman