Re: matroxfb on SMP alpha

I'm sorry but if you want to run a graphics card in that machine, It will probably never work. There is no x86 bios emulator support in the firmware. It was removed
to conserve space and make room for the linux in rom (never finished).

It was never meant to be a console machine, It was specially designed for
mass clustering and to operate headless.

Your only hope is to somehow get the Xfree bios emulator to set up the card
properly. Last time I checked, their bios emulator still depends on the
previous firmware to have "done the right thing (tm)".

Keyboard/mouse support may be possible at the OS level using a USB card
but you'll have no control at the firmware level.

In an ideal world. A new firmware could be written that supported x86 bios emulation
and newer devices.

The best use you could get out of this thing is to run it on the network and an
open a X session to it.

Finally if you bought this from someone and they told you VGA would work in it,
they're a bold faced liar. Demand your money back.

Peter