Re: Installing on a DAC960 controller?

> > Sorry... the error message that I see from the DAC960 driver upon boot
> > of the cd is:
> >
> > Unknown Initialization error FB at ...
> >
> > (and then it lists the PCI bus location and stuff which referrs to the
> > card)

An update on this, after compiling my own 2.4.21 kernel, and adding in
the patch to let the DAC960 driver use the DEC custom firmware v2.70,
the controller seems to be working fine.  With the Debian-compiled
kernels, I got the 'Unknown Initialization error FB' message, but when I
compiled my own, it seems to be OK.  Granted, a few seconds after
initialization, it claims that all the drives have crapped out, but
everything still works without problems.

Another plus is that I can finally use an SMP kernel.  None of the
kernel-image packages built for SMP would work for me... with a 2.2.x
kernel, the system would boot, but once the machine would be put under
any sort of load, it would spit up messages about someone sleeping with
a spinlock, and the system would hang.  With a 2.4.x kernel, it would
get up to starting the secondaries, and then go through the other 3
processors saying "CPU1 is stuck", etc, and hang.  Compiling my own
2.4.21 kernel with only Sable support seems to have fixed that.  I
had the machine up for several days, running kernel compiles in a loop,
with a couple of distributed.net clients running at the same time, and
it didn't have any problems.

Interesting side note:  It's not a good idea to put an AS2100 with 4
CPUs and 8 disks directly under the thermostat.  Seems that the heat
tends to make the A/C think it needs to be on _all_the_time_ :-)

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel,
and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other
counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for
a master. -Ben Jonson