Re: Installing on a DAC960 controller?

Thus spake Laczay Balint:
> Hi Nathan,

Hi there, thanks for the reply!  Posting my reply back to the list,
because it brings up another question for a wider audience...

> Since I don't see the error message you get in your mail, I can only
> guess, that your problem is that your controller is not recognized by Debian.

Sorry... the error message that I see from the DAC960 driver upon boot
of the cd is:
Unknown Initialization error FB at
(and then it lists the PCI bus location and stuff which referrs to the
card)

So, it's seeing the card, but it's not able to use it (most likely as
you point out, because it's not running the 2.73 firmware)

> I have installed debian on a DAC960 long ago.  The key was the firmware
> version.  Check it!  Debian supports it above 2.73 or what...  Maybe
> I don't remember the number correctly, it was so far ago.
>
> If you have to upgrade the firmware, I recommend doing it in a PC
> under Windows.  Much esaier.
>
> If you still have problems, drop me with the error message, maybe
> I can help.

Hrm, I think part of the problem is that this is one of the controllers
OEM'd by DEC, which is running the custom DEC firmware (of which 2.70 is
the latest...I updated to that last night).  The Manufacturing part
number on it is D040349-4D-DEC, so according to LSI's cross reference
list
(http://www.lsilogic.com/techlib/marketing_docs/storage_stand_prod/raid/gam/dac960_cross_ref_list.txt)
it is a DAC960PD-3.  My only fear with going to the 2.73 firmware is if
it will continue to work at all after the firmware upgrade -- I don't
know if the DEC firmware does something specific to this OEM'd card, if
it does something specific to make it work on alphas, if only makes it
work with Tru64/NT/VMS, or if it's perfectly safe to use.

So, the question of the hour is:  Has anyone successfully used the 2.73
firmware on one of the DEC OEM DAC960PD-3's?

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

Love is better than logic, but I can't prove it.