Re: booting on a microway alpha box

Jon,
	This is puzzling now...

you right, I look at my CD on another linux box and I see:
palc0:/mnt/cdrom> ls
apb	dedication.txt	etc	    milo	 README.mirrors.html  README.txt
upgrade
boot	dists		install     pics	 README.mirrors.txt   tools
debian	doc		md5sum.txt  README.html  README.non-US	      TRANS.TBL

this isn't even a valid bootabel CD to install from from what I can see.

I am using disk 1 of the Debian 2.2r7 Alpha disk series.  Is this not
what I am supposed to use, or do I require making a boot floppy to load
this from?

I just made a root floppy from the CD and used

boot hdb0:/boot/linux root=/dev/fd0

it boot the kernel, tells me to put in my floppy disk and then it reads
it and then fails on error:
"efs_read_super: bad magic number"
complaining that I have not set a UFS type.

I should, however, be able to boot directly from CD to do the install
shouldn't I?

- are the debian alpha CD's not actually able to boot from CD?
- do I always require a floppy or some other device to boot from?

doug