Re: booting on a microway alpha box

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 02:44:16PM -0500, Douglas Fils wrote:

> I've been searching FAQ's and the net for information about booting a
> microway alpha workstation. (currently running RedHat 6.2)
>
> EB164 (lx164 variation)

That sounds like the system I have, which gives me very little trouble
booting...

I did have trouble booting 2.4 kernels until I set the legacy kernal option
(CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS=y) because I have an older MILO, but
if you're trying to boot a 2.2 kernel that's not it.

I also set my root device on the command line, because I've built at least
one kernel where the default was wrong.

> I can get the system to start the boot, uncompress kernel and begin the
> boot process with Debian 3.0 and 2.2.
> However, I get either kernel frezes on boot or failure to init and I've
> tried all sorts of kernel init/root boot prompt options.
>
> Has anyone been successfull on a microway alpha box eb164(lx164) and if
> so can you tell me what your boot command from milo looked like?

The contents of two relevant /proc files:

frost:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu                     : Alpha
cpu model               : EV56
cpu variation           : 0
cpu revision            : 0
cpu serial number       : Linux_is_Great!
system type             : EB164
system variation        : LX164
system revision         : 0
system serial number    : MILO-2.0.35-c5.
cycle frequency [Hz]    : 600000000
timer frequency [Hz]    : 1024.00
page size [bytes]       : 8192
phys. address bits      : 40
max. addr. space #      : 127
BogoMIPS                : 1191.08
kernel unaligned acc    : 361582386 (pc=fffffc0000533914,va=fffffc000064cd81)
user unaligned acc      : 2687 (pc=120000db0,va=11fffe994)
platform string         : N/A
cpus detected           : 0

frost:~# cat /proc/cmdline
bootdevice=sda3 bootfile=vmlinuz.experimental root=/dev/sda3

If forget exactly how that looks from a MILO prompt (I don't reboot often),
probably something like "boot sda3:/vmlinuz.experimental root=/dev/sda3".

If that doesn't help, some more details about exactly how it is freezing
and the last messages from the kernel would help in debugging.

Jon Leonard