Re: Did you know that nfs mount requires accurate time?

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 08:40:04PM +0100, Loic Prylli wrote:

> Oscar Levi writes:
>  >
>  > As I'm looking into this more, I'm finding that there is another
>  > problem, now.  Setting the time fixed an RPC timeout and let the
>  > installed Debian system nfs mount the server.  However, the setup
>  > disks still fail to nfs mount.  I get a report of sendmsg failure with
>  > a result of 51.  The errno's say this is a 'level 2 halted' error.
>  > Whatever that means.
>
> alpha-~$grep 51 /usr/include/asm/errno.h
> #define ENETUNREACH     51      /* Network is unreachable */
>
> Hmm, are you sure it is a time-related problem?
>
> (errnos are not the same on Alpha and others archs)

Ah, that is why the error was so odd.

Actually, these are different problems.  One is caused by assymetry in
the DNS tables, the err51, and the other is caused by time.  I had a
small meltdown here for a few hours.  My cat likes to perch on the
UDB, but her fur lodged in the power supply and made it reboot
spontaneously.  I wasn't so calm about this a few hours ago, but now I
can laugh.  I bought a new battery because I thought that was the
trouble.

The result is that I didn't make any headway for about six hours while
I ran the errand and fussed with the computer.  I'll verify whether
time really is the problem in a few days when I return from Canada.

>  > >
>  > > The "epoch selection" should be done by the kernel, but the code there
>  > > may be wrong or incomplete.
>  >
>  > The epoch selection is the choice between ARC and UTC in CMOS?
>
> Yes depending on what it found, the kernel tries to determine an
> "epoch" (the  difference between the real year and the number set in
> CMOS), if it was implemented in a sane manner, I would tend to say it
> could never give 1930.

Could?  Did.  I'm gonna run though this again when I get home.

>  > It seems to me, IMHO, that it would be a good thing to permit (not
>  > require) the user set the time from setup.
>
> Sure I agree, but maybe this is not related to your problem.

And maybe it is.  I had two machines that were identical except for
the amount of memory...and the time of day.  One could NFS mount from
the boot floppy and the other could not.

I'll eat crow with gusto if I cannot reproduce the problem.

Cheers.