Re: Did you know that nfs mount requires accurate time?

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 12:10:58PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Oscar Levi wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 01:46:54AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > > It seems to me it would be much more sensible to either
> > >   a) implement http/ftp and ignore this problem with nfs
> >
> > Remember that we are talking about installing base.  There aren't the
> > facilities for apt at this point in the installation.
>
> I know, and I am quite aware there are some <50k http/ftp client packages
> around. It is fairly easy to setup/get a http server for the base image,
> nfs can be alot trickier.

So, are you sating it is OK to install a new program on the install
diskettes for performing ftp and not OK to add a switch to apt/dselect
in the setup program in base?  It seems to me that logging the output
of the initial setup run is much less risky that reworking the setup
disks to handle a new method of fetching base.

Besides, setting the clock is something we could use during install.

> > >   b) sync the local clock to the server clock using trivial time protocol
> > >      this is the smallest and most reliable option [netdate is 9k]
> >
> > This could work.  The trouble is that we need to set it in CMOS, too.
> > This isn't a problem with getting the correct date.  I don't believe
> > that the clocks must be exactly the same.  Thus, netdate is one method
> > for getting the date, but it seems more appropriate to make it a
> > general change to setup where the user can set the system clock.
>
> It seems to be a general failing of the alphas that the cmos clock doesn't
> work so I wouldn't worry too much about that till someone fixes it.

I don't know what you mean by this.  I *am* working to fix it.