Pipewire (was Re: Thanks so Much)

On 18/3/22 09:30, Sam Hartman wrote:
The other thing I care about is that pipewire is more likely to do
intelligent things when audio cards are added or removed.
After a while, when I've assigned various apps to various devices,
plugging something in or unplugging it tended to get bad results with
pulseaudio.
It just tried too hard to figure out where streams used to be etc.
Pipewire confuses me less.

That's my experience as well. I removed PulseAudio, installed Pipewire (including the PulseAudio emulation and Wireplumber), and all has been markedly improved since then.

Note that the Pulseaudio emulation just implements the application-level API; it doesn't reproduce the PulseAudio policies for handling devices and audio streams. That's the right choice, in my view.

According to what I've read, efforts are underway to make Wireplumber easier to configure, and to improve the default policy.