atk-bridge fails while trying to run firefox - it becomes inaccessible

Hello,
i'm trying to run firefox  in my debian system.
i downloaded firefox and  extracted it in /opt.
i installed ia32-libs-gtk to resolve the "xpcom error" for 64bit systems.
now when i cd to /opt/firefox and do ./firefox, in terminal i see an error which says
gtk message: failed to load "atk-bridge"
firefox loads up, but orca says firefox inaccessible.
googling  lead me to this page,
http://tjworld.net/wiki/Howto/PreventGtkMessageLibGailWrongElfClass
but this one just tries to disable atk-bridge it seems.
can someone help me with this and how can i fix this problem? im a linux beginner and don't know how can i do it. i have directories /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 because my system is 64bit. what i understand is that ia32-libs-gtk is trying to point at modules on /usr/lib32 or something... im not sure though. and i have no idea what to do.

Thanks for any help!

-regards,
Hadi