Re: atk-bridge fails while trying to run firefox - it becomes inaccessible

hadi <hadirezaei@gmx.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> i'm trying to run firefox  in my debian system.
> i downloaded firefox and  extracted it in /opt.

Why not run Iceweasel, which is, as the package description says, Firefox
rebranded - the Debian version of Firefox. If you want the latest, be sure
that the experimental distribution is available to your system in
/etc/apt/sources.list and install it from Experimental. Currently I have 20.0
installed, and it works well with Orca.
> i installed ia32-libs-gtk to resolve the "xpcom error" for 64bit systems.

Why do you want to run a 32-bit Firefox on a 64-bit Linux installation? You
should run a 64-bit version instead.
> now when i cd to /opt/firefox and  do ./firefox, in terminal i see
> an error which says
> gtk message: failed to load "atk-bridge"
> firefox loads up, but orca says firefox inaccessible.

That's probably because you have a 64-bit ATK library installed and you're
trying to run a 32-bit application, a combination that doesn't work.

My recommendation would be to run 64-bit Firefox (preferably the Iceweasel
package in Debian unless you have a strong reason to do otherwise).

I think you're making this a lot harder than it needs to be. In general, it's
best to install software only from the distribution repository unless you need
something special that isn't available there.