Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

Hi Mario,

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 02:23:31PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
> > I've recently recognized that we no longer have a speakup-enabled
> > kernel, and I'm willing to work on the kernel team side to bring it
> > back for Lenny.
>
> Great, I'd be very happy to see a volunteer working
> on this, since speakup has a quite large user base in
> the blind linux users community...
>
> Back when I was still maintaining a speakup enabled kernel
> in Debian, I bought a hardware speech synthesizer especially
> for testing speakup support for it.  If you are really going to work on speakup
> in Debian, I can provide that hardware to you for testing purposes since these
> days, you can't even buy those things anymore.  However, many
> people still have them, and would like to continue using them instead
> of software speech synthesis.  Besides, using hardware speech
> synthesis in speakup does enable a very cool feature
> for blind users, i.e. being able to review the screen even
> after a kernel crash or panic.

Thanks for your kind offer. I'm scheduled to move in about a week, so
I'll be forced to take a leave from Debian work for a while (in the
worst case scenario it will probably take a couple of months). We can
discuss the speakup issues when I get back.

Thanks,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC