Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

From: "Mario Lang" <mlang@debian.org>
John Heim <jheim@wisc.edu> writes:
Is there a solution then?

Sure, there are several.  We are just discussing what is
currently available, and what is the status of these projects to get
a more clear picture on what direction to take.  Manpower is rare,
and it is a good idea to try to spend it wisely.

I don't mean this as a criticism -- by no mean>s. But maybe it would
be more productive to talk about what can be done rather than what
cannot.

Well, talking about what can be done always involves the
danger of discovering that something can't be done just yet.

I understand you are trying to defend a existing solution, but if we want

Not me, man. :-)

I'm a big fan of speakup, don't get me wrong. But criticizing it doesn't bother me at all except that I fear the developers may take it a bit personally. Nobody likes hearing their code isn't up to par. I understand that those guys are going to have to be adult about it and take it for what it is, constructive criticism. But, you know, it probably wouldn't hurt to be as tactful as possible.

to integrate accessibility into the linux mainstream, we have to be careful
the solution we choose is going to be acceptable to the rest of the world.
speakup has been described as the holy grail to linux accessibility
by its users many times in the past, and I actually see where the
intusiasm comes from. This thread (or my posting to it) just tried to clarify why the speakup patch is a little bit too intrusive for mainstream integration
just yet.  This is not a criticism on the functionality provided
by speakup.  Its a criticism on the particular implementation.

Right, well, I couldn't do my job w/o speakup.

A good example of how important it is to try to get a screen reader into the linux kernel is my own occupation for the past 2 or 3 work days. I recompiled the kernel used in this open source Windows installation system called 'unattended'. See http://unattended.sourceforge.net.

This thing allows you to boot from a linux CD and then do a network install of Windows. I spent a couple of days rebuilding the linux boot iso to include a kernel that has the speakup patch. Obviously, if it was already in the kernel source, I wouldn't have had to do that.

I understand there are other linux screen readers. i have never tried them. Maybe one of them would be easier to get into the linux kernel source.