Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

Mario Lang, le Sat 17 Feb 2007 15:21:50 +0100, a écrit :
> OTOH, the way serial IO is currently done in speakup
> is on the one hand very ugly and hackish, OTOH does it
> also provide a "feature".  If the kernel crashes but
> speakup somehow can still run, the user can review the screen
> and read the error message.

This "feature" shouldn't be implemented in speakup but mainstream:
serial consoles would benefit from it too.  And the kernel actually
_already_ has support for something similar, it's called "early serial
support" (for supporting it before IRQs are set up), and could be reused
for this.

> >> Back when I was still maintaining a speakup enabled kernel
> >> in Debian, I bought a hardware speech synthesizer especially
> >> for testing speakup support for it.
> >
> > Mmm, I'd say the best way would rather to write a "fake" speakup driver,
> > that outputs plain text on the serial port.  That would let _everybody_
> > test speakup (including all kernel hackers), not only people that have
> > the hardware.
>
> I am not sure this is going to be helpful.  If you want
> to test a talking application, you'll have to have it talk,
> otherwise you can't test it really.

What is the difference between having a hardware synthesizer talking
and outputing plain text on the serial device? (from the point of view
of a kernel hacker that wants to quickly check that speakup still works
I mean, not from the point of view of someone actually working on
accessibility).

> BTW, for those that dont have a hardware speech synthesizer, they can
> still use the speech-dispatcher adaptor provided by speakup.

That doesn't permit do work on the serial support, which is one of the
key points of integrating speakup upstream.