Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

John Heim <jheim@wisc.edu> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 03:32:49AM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
>
>> Yes, but in text mode, you do not need Orca, there are existing soltuions.
>> Orca, as I understand it, is a screen reader for graphical
>> environments only.
>> So the question stands, why would a blind user want to add the
>> overhead that a
>> graphical environment brings with it, if they can't even see the graphics?
>> I'd find such a solution extremely inefficient.
>
> Mainly its because a lot of applications only work in graphics mode.
>
> I still use Windows  as my desktop because i need to use a graphical
> web browser.

Yes, I know this, but we were actually talking about
accessibility support in the Debian Installer.  There is a difference
between a full-blown desktop system that a user wants to
use to get work done, and the system that is used to install
the operating system.  I still doubt it is very
useful for blind people to use a graphical installer.  Especially
because of all the needless overhead.

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang@db.debian.org