Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 03:32:49AM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:

Yes, but in text mode, you do not need Orca, there are existing soltuions.
Orca, as I understand it, is a screen reader for graphical environments only. So the question stands, why would a blind user want to add the overhead that a
graphical environment brings with it, if they can't even see the graphics?
I'd find such a solution extremely inefficient.

Mainly its because a lot of applications only work in graphics mode.

I still use Windows as my desktop because i need to use a graphical web browser. I'm stuck with Windows and Internet Explorer. Lynx just doesn't cut it. Most people around here use the Windows version of firefox. If I could switch to linux and use firefox, I would.

Right now, it depends on what you want to do. But eventually, support for character browsers, email programs, spreadsheets, and word processors will be dropped. You'll still be running your linux servers in character mode but that's about all you'll be able to do.