Re: Kernel 5.15 Amiga PCMCIA apne driver not working

Hi Carlos

Am 07.02.2022 um 11:55 schrieb Michael Schmitz:
Hi Finn,

Am 06.02.2022 um 17:02 schrieb Finn Thain:
On Sun, 6 Feb 2022, Michael Schmitz wrote:

Hi Carlos,

even 7 MB uncompressed seems a little big to me (if using modules for
anything not essential to boot).

Maybe CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO needs to be disabled:
$ ./scripts/config -d CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO

That appears to be the cause, yes.

Goes for the modules as well. Over 250 MB modules is a little tough to load on any system. Definitely disable DEBUG_INFO as Finn suggested.

The installer will attempt to load modules from the initrd to get to a
known sane system state before beginning the install AFAIR, so replacing
the modules on the initrd very likely will still be required.

I'll try replacing modules on an old initrd image using cpio to see how
far that gets me ...

A few simple steps appear to be sufficient (assuming a tar archive of the result of make modules_install is present in your current directory):

$ mkdir initrd-root/

$ cd initrd-root/

$ gunzip -c ../initrd-old.img.gz | cpio -i

$ rm -rf lib/modules/<whatever>

$ tar xpfz ../modules-<new_kernel_version>.tar.gz

$ find . | cpio -R 0:0 -o -H newc | gzip -c > ../initrd-new.img.gz

$ cd ..

Tested using ARAnyM and a .config of mine that doesn't have all required code built as modules that the installer would expect. I saw a few modules load before busybox ran into unexpected results so even though I never got to see a proper installer prompt, I'm confident using the correct .config will get you there.

I'll send a shell script I use to pack up kernel image and modules later.

Cheers,