Re: Debian on mac68k

On 2/23/16 5:09 PM, Finn Thain wrote:

>> thanks..  The kernel hung once at the "ABCFGHIJK"-on-a-white-screen,
>
> Please add "earlyprintk" to the kernel parameters in Penguin.
>
> I suspect that this hang happens because the bootloader doesn't disable
> slot interrupts. So you may sometimes see this hang if you first boot into
> MacOS with the ethernet card enabled and then boot into Linux using
> Penguin.
>
> You should not see this problem with Emile. Also, you should not see this
> problem if you boot MacOS without bringing up an ethernet driver (e.g.
> restart holding down shift key).

I always get an error that video slot interrupts were not able to be
disabled ("booting anyway"). Usually it's not a problem. I'll try
booting with extensions off.

>> I would guess that for some reason it's hanging before running any of
>> the init scripts from the tarball that I downloaded earlier.
>
> Debian uses systemd and doesn't need init scripts, which is why you don't
> see any messages from those scripts.

I don't have any opinion about systemd (it sounds new to me); versions
of Debian up to 8.1 use (or are able to use) rc init scripts on powerpc
and i386, and Debian 7.8 on sparc also uses init scripts.  I tend to
like whatever is faster and works best for low-memory systems. Text
editable configuration files are also nice.

> In general, ADB works fine (on m68k and powerpc). Regarding the LC III,
> AFAIK, the Egret driver has always been unstable but YMMV. Having seen the
> code, I no longer take an interest in old v2.x kernels.

Yellowdog Linux 3.0 with a 2.4.32 kernel and updated gcc and binutils
has been pretty stable on my nubus ppc 601 system (though it's only an
NFS server). Perhaps the better ADB code could be backported to the
2.x kernels for systems that can't run anything later..

>> Would it make sense to try using the 4.1.18 kernel with my old Debian
>> 3.1 filesystems?  I'd have to restore them from a backup (taking a few
>> hours at least).
>
> It may work. Whereas, the current Debian distro is known to work.
>
> If you boot the old Debian 3.1 using a recent kernel then you won't be
> able to log in at the console, because the ADB keycodes were changed
> sometime after the v2.2 kernel. (I'm thinking of the IIfx, which does
> not need the Egret driver.)

Sounds like it wouldn't work due to the keycode change.

https://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/stan/linux-m68k-image-4.1.18-mac-00084-ge6b89b9.tar.gz

>   SHA1 9ee49c4d9361785b872f9448acd3e25a4f52ab92
>
> The patches are the 84 that I've sent to the scsi maintainers.
> They affect only the mac_scsi module. (Mac kernel binaries don't
> have any use for atari_scsi, sun3_scsi etc so these modules
> aren't present.)

thanks..  I'll try the new kernel with the tarball from earlier.
The scsi patches may fix the multi-disk phase/timeout issues. As
I said earlier, I'm not necessarily a fan of systemd; I had just
noted that that was the last message from the kernel.

I generally try to avoid bloat, unless the new features actually
help old systems. For example, I dislike the "requirement" for
initrd images; usually I'm able to configure kernels without
needing an initrd.

-Stan