Re: Debian on mac68k

On 02/24/2016 03:18 PM, Mac User wrote:
>> Debian uses systemd and doesn't need init scripts, which is why you don't
>> see any messages from those scripts.

That's not correct. There are still init scripts in Debian. Anything
listed by systemctl with the prefix "LSB: " is still an init script.

It's just that systemd is able to deal with init scripts just fine,
so you don't notice that you're still using init scripts.

> I don't have any opinion about systemd (it sounds new to me); versions
> of Debian up to 8.1 use (or are able to use) rc init scripts on powerpc
> and i386, and Debian 7.8 on sparc also uses init scripts.  I tend to
> like whatever is faster and works best for low-memory systems. Text
> editable configuration files are also nice.

Anything starting from Debian 8 (Jessie) uses systemd by default on
new installations. For upgraded systems, it can be different depending
on what init system you were using on Wheezy.

As for sparc, if you're still happen to be running Wheezy on sparc,
please reinstall your machine with the new sparc64 port:

> https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/debian-cd/

Debian Wheezy is expected to be end-of-life in May (excluding Wheezy
LTS which will be supported on i386 and amd64 only).

>> In general, ADB works fine (on m68k and powerpc). Regarding the LC III,
>> AFAIK, the Egret driver has always been unstable but YMMV. Having seen the
>> code, I no longer take an interest in old v2.x kernels.
>
> Yellowdog Linux 3.0 with a 2.4.32 kernel and updated gcc and binutils
> has been pretty stable on my nubus ppc 601 system (though it's only an
> NFS server). Perhaps the better ADB code could be backported to the
> 2.x kernels for systems that can't run anything later..

You want to backport something to 2.x kernels, from 2.4.32? Do you want
to use an even older kernel?

> https://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/stan/linux-m68k-image-4.1.18-mac-00084-ge6b89b9.tar.gz
>>
>>   SHA1 9ee49c4d9361785b872f9448acd3e25a4f52ab92
>>
>> The patches are the 84 that I've sent to the scsi maintainers.
>> They affect only the mac_scsi module. (Mac kernel binaries don't
>> have any use for atari_scsi, sun3_scsi etc so these modules
>> aren't present.)
>
> thanks..  I'll try the new kernel with the tarball from earlier.
> The scsi patches may fix the multi-disk phase/timeout issues. As
> I said earlier, I'm not necessarily a fan of systemd; I had just
> noted that that was the last message from the kernel.

You can use any init system you like. But then you have to set it
up yourself as the default tarballs I am generating default to
systemd.

> I generally try to avoid bloat, unless the new features actually
> help old systems. For example, I dislike the "requirement" for
> initrd images; usually I'm able to configure kernels without
> needing an initrd.

initrds were already a thing when I started using Linux in the 90ies.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz