Re: Debian on mac68k

Hi Stan!

On 02/20/2016 11:30 PM, Mac User wrote:
> If there's an effort to build packages for etch or later

According to the current statistics, 90% of the packages that were ever
built on m68k are currently up-to-date:

> https://buildd.debian.org/stats/graph2-ports-big.png

So, I wouldn't call it an effort anymore, we're much more progressed.

> I'd like to help

That's great to hear. New contributors are always welcome.

> though I currently don't know much about how to build Debian
> packages.

You don't have to worry about that. The packages are built automatically
by dedicated machines called buildds. I don't think anyone would want
to build over 11000 source packages manually :).

> And I don't have a cross compiler for mac68k, only the IIfx
> and LC III systems.

Packages are built natively anyway, that is either on Aranym or using
qemu-m68k, both being emulators.

If you follow this guide, you should be able to get a working qemu-m68k
chroot which will allow you to build Debian packages for m68k:

> https://wiki.debian.org/M68k/sbuildQEMU

In order to install a current release of Debian onto your m68k Mac,
you currently have to use a tool called debootstrap. Or you just
extract a basesystem that I created last year onto your Mac's
harddrive:

> https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/chroots/

To do that, you should remove the drive from the Mac and hook it
up to a PC. Then you just format the root partition which currently
has Debian Sarge on it (backup your data first) and then just extract
the tarball directly onto this partition. Then just add the kernel
and the initrd to your Mac Linux loader and you're set.

There will be regular Debian m68k installer images in the future, so
installation will be easy again. But I haven't yet found the time
to work on that, but it is coming.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz