Re: Linux 3.1-2-m68k config (was: Re: Linux 3.10-2-m68k FPU support)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> >> With the switch to initrd, absence of modules is simply no longer
> >> supported at all, period.
> >
> > When something goes wrong, and the kernel messages aren't available to
> > tell you what went wrong, then you may lack the information you need
> > to support those things that you are willing to support.
> >
> > Hence I was trying to find an explanation for the screen shot posted,
> > which says "console [tty0] enabled" even though the macfb console did
> > not appear.
>
> No, without fb/console support you wouldn't even see those.

"console [tty0] enabled" comes from the early console, which implies
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE and CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK. But neither of these
implies a working macfb...

> >> Besides, if multi_defconfig has it as "n"...
> >
> > That should be OK; all of my test kernel configs also disable these
> > options.
>
> Indeed. Mac needs the CONFIG_FB_CFB_* counterparts.
>
> CONFIG_FB_SYS_* is for system RAM, while CONFIG_FB_CFB_* is for iomem.
> Not that it would matter much on m68k, m68k has no strict separation
> between both.

OK, thanks Geert.

I guess the mystery of the missing macfb remains unsolved.

Without hardware I'm not going to be much help here.

Finn