Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

On 2012-05-19, at 12:17 PM, Roy Tam wrote:

Unfortunately I am not able to post to miros-mksh@mirbsd.org as it seems to bounce stuff from yahoo: "We don't accept mail from spammers. Your freemail provider (*yahoo.com) is unresponsive to abuse requests."

>>> I wonder if there would be a benefit to compiling it without -posix on
>>> NEXTSTEP in order to avoid the bugs and allow it to be ported to
>>> OPENSTEP?
>>
>> I absolutely have no idea what you mean ☺ mksh is primarily a shell
>> for operating environments that behave close enough to modern BSDs
>> to support it. Which hasn’t stopped RT from porting it to more plat-
>> forms than I dare count, and Michael from beginning a port to native
>> WinAPI. But that’s getting off-topic here, and please follow up to
>> this part of the mail on the mksh mailing list.
>
> The trial of porting mksh to OpenStep is suspended because OpenStep c
> library is broken in many ways. with NextSTEP libposix it works better
> from my observation.

This is a very interesting observation.  Did you have to deploy any workarounds for libposix bugs such as the "famous" append file corruption bug?  I thought that the c library on OPENSTEP is pretty much identical to NEXTSTEP, minus the dropped POSIX support...

>>> This is incredible - a huge THANK YOU!  I was aware of the famous
>>> POSIX append bug, but had no idea that a similar condition existed
>>> outside of the POSIX environment. The confusing thing is that it does
>>
>> It’s probably some sort of kernel problem? RT?
>
> It may be kernel problem or system library problem (unless we use
> system calls to confirm it is kernel problem or not)

Perhaps one day I will try to trace this one.  It is certainly extremely annoying and I was not able to trigger it outside of the GNU configure scripts.