Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

Vaugha Brewchuk dixit:

>> that’s on a fast emulated Atari… makes me wish for one of these
>> several 100 MHz Coldfires with MMU, except that effort to make
>> the Debian/m68k port usable on both seems not have gone far yet.
>
>Time for the FireBee? :-)

Nope, that’s MMU-less (IIRC).

>Thank you for the suggestions.  Will definitely look into this.  I did
>not want to bother Vincent directly but perhaps will do if I still
>cannot get gcc going...

I’ve had contact with him recently, and he’s very interested in
other m68k-related work.

>> Building mksh and running its testsuite _is_ a good compiler and
>> libc test anyway. I’ve suggested the GCC people do that several
>> times already… (when you do, make sure to try CVS HEAD)
>
>Interesting, I will definitely look into this.  I have been using
>bash

Maybe you didn’t know something else? ;-)

mksh (other than crippled shells such as ash) is, for example, the
only one with system dependencies low enough to run unmodified on
Android bionic (even going as far back as Android 1.5, which was
the first one I had contact with). It is also much faster than GNU
bash and (obviously) more free ☺

But the thing is, building mksh and running its testsuite has a
history of exposing compiler, toolchain or OS bugs. So you get
double benefit.

>but I have also been experiencing really bizarre issues with
>configure scripts that I cannot trace to the root cause - some of the
>files generated by config.status randomly get null characters inserted
>into them which then breaks the tools that process them, such as gawk
>or gcc.

That may be a bug in the operating system. I’ve read about it,
thanks to RT who ported mksh to NeXTstep, and the thing is, if
you use a sequence like this:

echo foo >file
echo bar >>file

… to create a file, and the *first* echo is less than 14 bytes,
the file gets corrupted. (Look in mksh/Build.sh for “workaround”.)

>I have been working on reintegrating revised nextstep configuration
>files back into the gcc source and was able to build gcc-3.4.6 and now
>am trying gcc-4.6.3. I am hoping that a modern compiler will somewhat
>reinvigorate the interest in the platform...

;-) I can confirm that it’s possible to build at least gcc-4.4 straight
from gcc-3.4.6 since the latter is the system compiler on MirBSD (will
be replaced with pcc eventually though) and the former is in MirPorts.
Although I did collect a number of patches against 3.4… (but that’s on
i386 and sparc, which are MirBSD’s currently supported platforms).

>My other desire is to refresh the NeXT c library to a somewhat more
>modern configuration. For anyone interested, here is a good summary of
>my struggles: http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2980

Thanks, will peek at it.

>This is really just a learning experience for me and I am very humbled
>by help from real software developers.

Isn’t it for all of us? I learned to know Debian by reviving m68k…
even though I’ve been a programmer since approximately when I was
six years old. (Games were few and held few interest for me when
I had GWBASIC to toy with the computer with.) You never stop learning.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
FWIW, I'm quite impressed with mksh interactively. I thought it was much
*much* more bare bones. But it turns out it beats the living hell out of