Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

On 2012-05-18, at 4:39 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> Vaugha Brewchuk <vaugha_brewchuk@yahoo.ca> writes:
>
>> I also wonder whether perhaps a different gcc-4 version is a better
>> starting point for the NeXT?
>
> Support for m68k-*-nextstep* has been removed 10 years ago.

Indeed, gcc-3.2.3 was the last version with m68k-*-nextstep configuration files but it would not build on NEXTSTEP or OPENSTEP because of NeXT header file idiosyncrasies choking the pre-processor.

I have been working on reintegrating revised nextstep configuration files back into the gcc source and was able to build gcc-3.4.6 and now am trying gcc-4.6.3.  I am hoping that a modern compiler will somewhat reinvigorate the interest in the platform...

My other desire is to refresh the NeXT c library to a somewhat more modern configuration.  For anyone interested, here is a good summary of my struggles:  http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2980

This is really just a learning experience for me and I am very humbled by help from real software developers.