Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

Vaugha Brewchuk dixit:

>I will definitely have a look at mksh.  In the past I primarily used
>zsh and only switched to bash in hopes of better compatibility with
>all the gnu scripts.

Most of the GNU scripts are POSIX, and even for those that aren’t,
mksh indeed supports many extensions from ksh93, zsh and GNU bash,
while differing from POSIX only in small amounts.

>I wonder if there would be a benefit to compiling it without -posix on
>NEXTSTEP in order to avoid the bugs and allow it to be ported to
>OPENSTEP?

I absolutely have no idea what you mean ☺ mksh is primarily a shell
for operating environments that behave close enough to modern BSDs
to support it. Which hasn’t stopped RT from porting it to more plat-
forms than I dare count, and Michael from beginning a port to native
WinAPI. But that’s getting off-topic here, and please follow up to
this part of the mail on the mksh mailing list.

>This is incredible - a huge THANK YOU!  I was aware of the famous
>POSIX append bug, but had no idea that a similar condition existed
>outside of the POSIX environment. The confusing thing is that it does

It’s probably some sort of kernel problem? RT?

>And to add insult to injury, if I reboot my NeXT and try to run the
>unmodified configure, it sometimes works, but not always. Anyhow, my

Eh, wow. I count myself lucky I don’t have to deal with _that_…

>I have learned a whole lot since then, but I am just skimming the

Oh, same here… I’m learning by the day. Worked on klibc a lot
yesterday, and learned more about how ugly Linux can be than
I cared for. And then some. (And ia64-shared and armhf and sh4
in general are still broken. Yay for using mksh as libc tester…)

>surface. I still do not know anything about C++...

There’s only one thing to know about it: it sucks whales through
straws. (Not through nanotubes, that’s some other language…) ☺☻

>hobby) using ATARI 130XE basic. While at school for my mechanical

:)

>(aerospace actually) engineering degree I did a bit of assembly for
>8086 (scary stuff), assembly for 68000 (wonderful stuff) and lots of

Oh, for me it somehow was the other way ’round. But I’ve been
exposed to 8088/8086 early enough, I guess. Never liked those
“not-PCs” (home computers) like the C64, and I guess m68k was
mostly known to be Apple (overpriced, and even back then one
just didn’t buy it) and Amiga (too close to a gaming system),
and Atari also was something with colours and sounds? Also,
it used big endian… never would’ve dreamt I’d end up here.

>hand. But even back then I did not dive into any UNIX specific
>programming or porting. All I did was engineering code.

Well, first time for everything. I personally find low-level
things more interesting. And, while you’ve got to deal with
all sorts of weird things, often still cleaner. Application
code is often “engineered” by “software designers” and written
in teams with deadlines. It does show.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."