Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

On 2012-05-19, at 11:59 AM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Vaugha Brewchuk dixit:
>
>> I wonder if there would be a benefit to compiling it without -posix on
>> NEXTSTEP in order to avoid the bugs and allow it to be ported to
>> OPENSTEP?
>
> I absolutely have no idea what you mean ☺ mksh is primarily a shell
> for operating environments that behave close enough to modern BSDs
> to support it. Which hasn’t stopped RT from porting it to more plat-
> forms than I dare count, and Michael from beginning a port to native
> WinAPI. But that’s getting off-topic here, and please follow up to
> this part of the mail on the mksh mailing list.

The NEXTSTEP c library (libsys_s.a) does not support any POSIX, only BSD.  In order to enable POSIX, one passes the -posix flag to the NeXT cc compiler.  This defines _POSIX_SOURCE to pull-in the POSIX header file content and links with libsys_p.a and libposix.a.  Without the -posix flag, the compile is against BSD libraries with no POSIX.  Unfortunately the POSIX library on the NeXT is extremely buggy and the tribal knowledge says to avoid using it altogether.  So everything I built to date was without -posix.

>> (aerospace actually) engineering degree I did a bit of assembly for
>> 8086 (scary stuff), assembly for 68000 (wonderful stuff) and lots of
>
> Oh, for me it somehow was the other way ’round. But I’ve been
> exposed to 8088/8086 early enough, I guess. Never liked those
> “not-PCs” (home computers) like the C64, and I guess m68k was
> mostly known to be Apple (overpriced, and even back then one
> just didn’t buy it) and Amiga (too close to a gaming system),
> and Atari also was something with colours and sounds? Also,
> it used big endian… never would’ve dreamt I’d end up here.

I found m68k assembly almost as clean as a high level language, as opposed to i386 that I found very painful.  But of course I knew then and still do now very little about all of this :-).  I still have a huge soft spot in my heart for the 680x0 and absolutely love showing off my NeXT.  It is amazing how usable it still is today, except for web browsing and compiling modern compiler sources :-).  I also miss my Mega 2 ST, but unfortunately it passed on to computer heaven before I could intercept it...