Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

2012/5/19 Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de>:
> Vaugha Brewchuk dixit:
>
>>I will definitely have a look at mksh.  In the past I primarily used
>>zsh and only switched to bash in hopes of better compatibility with
>>all the gnu scripts.
>
> Most of the GNU scripts are POSIX, and even for those that aren’t,
> mksh indeed supports many extensions from ksh93, zsh and GNU bash,
> while differing from POSIX only in small amounts.
>
>>I wonder if there would be a benefit to compiling it without -posix on
>>NEXTSTEP in order to avoid the bugs and allow it to be ported to
>>OPENSTEP?
>
> I absolutely have no idea what you mean ☺ mksh is primarily a shell
> for operating environments that behave close enough to modern BSDs
> to support it. Which hasn’t stopped RT from porting it to more plat-
> forms than I dare count, and Michael from beginning a port to native
> WinAPI. But that’s getting off-topic here, and please follow up to
> this part of the mail on the mksh mailing list.

The trial of porting mksh to OpenStep is suspended because OpenStep c
library is broken in many ways. with NextSTEP libposix it works better
from my observation.

>>This is incredible - a huge THANK YOU!  I was aware of the famous
>>POSIX append bug, but had no idea that a similar condition existed
>>outside of the POSIX environment. The confusing thing is that it does
>
> It’s probably some sort of kernel problem? RT?

It may be kernel problem or system library problem (unless we use
system calls to confirm it is kernel problem or not)

>>And to add insult to injury, if I reboot my NeXT and try to run the
>>unmodified configure, it sometimes works, but not always. Anyhow, my
>
> Eh, wow. I count myself lucky I don’t have to deal with _that_…
>
>>I have learned a whole lot since then, but I am just skimming the
>
> Oh, same here… I’m learning by the day. Worked on klibc a lot
> yesterday, and learned more about how ugly Linux can be than
> I cared for. And then some. (And ia64-shared and armhf and sh4
> in general are still broken. Yay for using mksh as libc tester…)
>
>>surface. I still do not know anything about C++...
>
> There’s only one thing to know about it: it sucks whales through
> straws. (Not through nanotubes, that’s some other language…) ☺☻
>
>>hobby) using ATARI 130XE basic. While at school for my mechanical
>
> :)
>
>>(aerospace actually) engineering degree I did a bit of assembly for
>>8086 (scary stuff), assembly for 68000 (wonderful stuff) and lots of
>
> Oh, for me it somehow was the other way ’round. But I’ve been
> exposed to 8088/8086 early enough, I guess. Never liked those
> “not-PCs” (home computers) like the C64, and I guess m68k was
> mostly known to be Apple (overpriced, and even back then one
> just didn’t buy it) and Amiga (too close to a gaming system),
> and Atari also was something with colours and sounds? Also,
> it used big endian… never would’ve dreamt I’d end up here.

Never forget computers by other companies for example Snn Sun-1/2/3,
Sony NEWS, Sharp X68000 etc. There is too many computers build with
m68k.