Re: Updating w.d.o/{intro/organization#distribution,ports/}

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 09:08:04PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> John Klos dixit:
> > I would like to recommend that anyone who can set up a proper and up to date
> > m68k Debian, ready to run buildd, please do so cleanly in an ARAnyM environment
> > to help bootstrap everyone else.
>
> ARAnyM is not the solution. (But it may help in getting systems up,
> since d-i is a PITA. I managed to make a minimal initrd, with which
> people can boot, but it’s still lacking tools such as mke2fs, so an
> aspiring user would use ARAnyM to prepare an initrd with which they
> can install on their hardware machine.)

How much of the performance problem is the CPU, and how much is a lack
of RAM or bad storage interfaces? I have a couple m68k macs that could
theoretically take 128M RAM. I also recently picked up a couple of
ultra-wide capable SCSI cards in nubus format. Specifically, the
FWB JackHammer is an NCR53c710, and the ATTO SE4 is an ISP1000. Either
one should be massively faster than the on-board controllers. Obviously
we don't have a working driver for them yet, but other cards that are
supported in Linux use the same basic chipsets. All of the other nubus
SCSI cards I've found are various ESP chips (NCR53c90A, Emulex FAS101,
etc.) and thus wouldn't be much faster than the on-board chips except
on the really old mac models.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com