Re: gcc done, eglibc problem

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> I’m too aware of the differences (in gcc, not pcc though) between a
> native and a cross compiler to like it.

I'm not aware of any differences between native and cross gcc that affect
Linux. Sure, the process isn't quite the same (due to tools like depmod
but not gcc).

In fact, since embedded Linux devices vastly outnumber all other
production Linux systems, I'd be pretty confident that cross-compiling
Linux kernels is the rule and not the exception.

Of course, Linux (and busybox) are unusual (for being self-contained) and
you are right that cross-compiling most other stuff is not likely to give
the same results as a native compiler.

Finn