Re: Linux/m68k on Atari

Le Thu, 09 Apr 2009 22:00:52 +0200
Petr Stehlik <pstehlik@sophics.cz> a _crit:

> Patrice Mandin píše v Čt 09. 04. 2009 v 21:40 +0200:
> > Fixing the kernel to run it from FastRam seems top priority for me, to
> > have it run at full speed.
>
> I think I reported first FastRAM problems like 10-12 years ago. The
> symptoms were that time was running much faster (the bogomips value was
> 3-4 times higher than normal) and there were many spurious interrupts
> (/proc/interrupts). And the IDE was not running correctly (because of
> that?).
>
> We never figured out what was wrong - mainly because I was the only one
> with an AfterBurner040 - so the workaround with kernel in ST-RAM became
> sort of a given thing. I think I remember some TT030 were having similar
> problems...

Here is a rough timing between the two settings:
060 73MHz, 64MB Fast, boot from IDE hard disk partition, 2.6.26 kernel.
FastRam		ST-Ram
0		0		Press key to boot Linux, in ataboot.tos
7s		15s		Start loading stuff from disk
-		6mn50s		INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
60s		7mn25s		Login prompt

0		0		Enter 'reboot' command in shell
15s		1mn12s		Reset

(ST-Ram = Nice handbreak, isn't it?)

Note: I blindly guessed the time for FastRam, as I get a black screen,
but I was able to login and type reboot, so the console was ready. I
suppose it's the problem of atafb screen being wrongly allocated in
FastRam. I still did not manage to get serial console working, which
I'll need if someone fixes this atafb problem and I want to test the
fix.

The various machines can be detected with cookies inside ataboot.tos,
and I remember there was a routine originally that copied the kernel
and the ramdisk to the final place where they execute. So it should be
possible to get the most optimal setup on a given configuration.

[Petr: Thanks for the Etch image for Aranym]

--
Patrice Mandin
WWW: http://pmandin.atari.org/