Re: Linux/m68k on Atari

Patrice Mandin píše v Pá 10. 04. 2009 v 18:55 +0200:
> Here is a rough timing between the two settings:

Well, we all know the ST-RAM is 10 times slower than FastRAM (on
Afterburner040) but I was always sort of hoping that if only kernel is
running in ST-RAM and the rest of operating system is in FastRAM the
timing wouldn't be THAT bad. Truth is that Linux on Atari was always
surprisingly slow compared to e.g. FreeMiNT.

> The various machines can be detected with cookies inside ataboot.tos,
> and I remember there was a routine originally that copied the kernel
> and the ramdisk to the final place where they execute. So it should be
> possible to get the most optimal setup on a given configuration.

Well the most optimal setup is everything in FastRAM, always. And if it
doesn't work then users can start playing with the various command line
switches :-) I wouldn't like if the ataboot forced kernel on Afterburner
to ST-RAM automagically. Who knows - the kernel might get fixed (or got
fixed already) and is running in FastRAM properly? It's something in MFP
interrupts handling, obviously.

BTW, do you have the latest ataboot? I had fixed some bugs there
"recently" (few years ago) regarding the location of kernel and ramdisk
in memory... The latest version shows my name in the credits.

> [Petr: Thanks for the Etch image for Aranym]

yw, glad you find it useful.

Petr