Re: Linux/m68k on Atari

Hello again,

I made some more tests trying to boot the 2.6.26 kernel with various
options (I have 14MB ST-RAM and 64MB Fast-Ram, and using one of the
initrd.gz ramdisks).

-s seems mandatory (load kernel in st-ram), but booting is very slow
(takes several minutes to reach rootfs mount). It should work
when loading kernel in Fast-Ram and should be much faster. Does the
kernel copy itself to FastRam before executing?

The ramdisk also seems to be loaded in ST-RAM (has the Atari tos screen
is filled with some decompressed data while booting). The initrd
decompressed is around 8MB (is it also decompressed or copied to
Fast-Ram?). If you add the kernel in st-ram (don't know how much it is
decompressed), 14MB may be a bit short.

Starting ataboot.tos with stuff taking some st-ram (like usual TOS
utilities, or higher resolution than 320x200x16 colors for example)
prevent the kernel from booting correctly (not enough ST-Ram to unpack
it and the ramdisk I suppose), hence the reset I got previously.

I think using the Fast-Ram should be the default for CT60. I don't
remember on which hw it would cause problems (due to MMU remapping).

About the installer:
- Running with atafb:sthigh makes it unusable, as the selection is not
visible (no inverse video).
- libbogl lacks the Atari bitplanes support (running with fb=false
makes it work) but it should be easy to add.

--
Patrice Mandin
WWW: http://pmandin.atari.org/