Re: Reviewing data in the debian-cd packages

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > The description there gives little detail on the contents of the .info
> > > files
> > > aside from the icon image data. Is the file name of the associated script
> > > encoded in the icon file itself?
> >
> > The icon file name for <file> is <file>.info.
> > But you can have icons withour corresponding files, which is typically
> > used for scripts (the Default Tool in the info file points to
> > SYS:System/CLI, and the Tool Types in the info file specify the script
> > name)
>
> IconX has also be mentioned as a tool to use. It should be possible to spot
> either in the example info files.
>
> What would the device name for a CD be in AmigaOS?

No idea, as my Amiga doesn't have a CD-ROM drive.
Furthermore the name may depend on the driver...

> > > If it's just about the image data, a conversion tool could be written for
> > > Linux.
> >
> > ppmtoinfo(1). But it doesn't seem to be able to set the Default Tool or
> > Tool Types.
>
> Thanks - I only found the infotoppm man page and it said ppmtoinfo did not
> exist ...

Strange, I cannot find an infotppm man page?

> The code for ppmtoinfo may need to be moved from amiwm to some other package
> perhaps, or a replacement written (amiwm is non-free due to it's license).
>
> > > Do the icons need the script bit set?
> >
> > Don't think so.
>
> Fine, so all we'd need to know is the path to the install script on the CD as
> seen by AmigaOS? Or does it correctly try to launch the script of the same
> basename in the same directory if the script file name is missing?

AmigaOS has 2 choices for paths:
  - paths involving the device name (which may depend on the driver)
  - paths involving the volume name (the label)

But as I don't have a CD-ROM drive on my Amiga, I have no idea if volume
names are supported, and if they're just the iso9660 label or not.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds