Re: installing etch on atari

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 01:30:59PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > I am trying to install etch on my falcon/ct60, after I lost my woody
> > > installation. There are no atari kernels on the etch CD from january, so I
> > > tried with the latest 2.6 kernel. This kernel has many drivers built in, the
> > > installation starts fine, but it does not have SCSI drivers, so I can not
> > > access the CD-Rom. I am kind of stuck here, I am not sure if a hdinstall
> > > would help here.
> >
> > Why not build a custom 2.6 kernel with scsi drivers built-in? The
>
> Because this would be the first real test of Atari SCSI in 2.6, I guess.
> Should be fine for reading the CD though (depending on how prone the
> Falcon is to DMA clock problems; make sure to boot in ST-High
> resolution!).

Yes, SCSI is disabled, but if you say it works, I can try. Thee is not much
to loose, the harddisk is empty anyhow. Is there another easy way to copy
files, like installation files, onto an empty Atari harddisk? I could not
get a CD-driver to work, I guess I copied most of the files with a floppy,
but the initrd is too large for that, I don't remember how I did that...
st-high is bad, I just switched to vga16. The installer uses a lot of
colours, it is difficult to navigate in just two colours. I ended up with
installing in estonian or finish...

> > installation manual has directions. (Well it used to, I don't see any
> > right now.) If you point me to your custom kernel I'll do a daily d-i
> > build with it, if that would help.
>
> I guess it would - we'd at least know how well the custom kernel works :-)

I just used the kernel that is currently in debian, the latest 2.6.18. My CD
is a snapshot from january, so it is not on there yet.

Christian